Pages

Friday, April 16, 2010

Family Movie Night

The other day I came across this idea of Family movie night. So last night I told the crazies that we were going to have Family Movie Night the next night. We were going to have popcorn, soda, candy, and snuggle down in pillows and blankets. They were super excited! But...THEY had to buy the popcorn, soda, candy, pillows and blankets from the concession stand using tickets. They earned tickets by doing the chores (cleaning their room, helping fold clothes, help with dishes) and being nice, listening to mommy, etc. Well by noon today, they OWED me 3 tickets. Sigh.
So this afternoon I decided to give them a really simple task, that I know they would do, just so they could earn one ticket. As soon as they earned that first ticket, they were on a roll. It was nice that simple little things, that they normally fight me on doing, they did without having to be told. I'm not sure Kyle really got what was going on, because each time I asked him what he was going to buy with his tickets, he just said "A car." But once he saw the "concession stand" and watched Kyra buy her snackies, he caught on pretty fast. Here is Kyra with her handful of tickets...her goal..she had to buy everything! So she figured out that if there were 6 items, and they each cost 2 tickets, that she would need 12 tickets. So all afternoon, she would chant "12 tickets, 12 tickets, gotta get 12 tickets." She is such a goal oriented kid!Here is Kyle with his hard earned tickets. Kyra ended up with 1 extra ticket, and she said she was going to save it for next family movie night. Then she relized that Kyle was 1 ticket short of getting everything. So she gave him her last ticket!

We watched Homeward Bound. The crazies LOVED it!! I of course cried like a baby :) It was such a fun night! I think next time, I will have them earn tickets throughout the week, like one at the end of each day if they helped and were nice that day, and then bonus tickets for extra things they do.

2 comments:

Ramirez Family said...

You are such a fun and creative mommy!Eveyone is getting so big. I love the blogs, it's fun to keep up with our friends :).

The Closet Crafter said...

Sara, this is such a fantastic idea!